This recipe is from Altezano in Auckland. Substitute the butter for a vegetable oil to make this recipe vegan-friendly.
Lentils & Rice
|2 ½ cups||Water|
|1 cup||Green lentils (Main)|
|2 cups||Chicken stock, or water|
|1 cup||Basmati rice (Main)|
|1 tsp||Sumac powder|
|1 tsp||Nutmeg, grated or ground|
|1 ½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|1 ½ tsp||Salt|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|2||Onions, peeled and thinly sliced|
|1 cup||Pistachios, toasted|
|1 cup||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped|
|1 cup||Fresh coriander, roughly chopped|
Spicy Tomato Sauce
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|3||Garlic cloves, peeled and crushed|
|3||Red chillies, seeds removed and finely sliced|
|1 can||Crushed tomatoes, 400g|
|1 ½ cups||Water|
|¼ cup||Cider vinegar|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Ground paprika|
|¼ cup||Fresh coriander, leaves, finely chopped|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- To prepare the lentils:In a sieve or small holed colander rinse the lentils under cold running water to remove any dirt or stones.
- Add the lentils and water to a medium saucepan. Over a high heat, bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add a pinch of salt towards the end of the cooking time to avoid tough skins. The lentils are done when they are tender.
- Remove from the heat. Drain and set aside.
- To prepare the spicy tomato sauce:Place a saucepan over a high heat.
- Add the oil, garlic, chillies and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, vinegar, salt, cumin and paprika.
- ring to the boil and lower the heat.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the fresh coriander leaves. Taste to see if more salt, pepper or coriander needs to be added.
- To prepare the rice:Place a saucepan over a high heat.
- Melt the butter and add the rice.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the stock or water, sumac, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook for 12 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Cover and set aside for 12 minutes. While the rice is resting prepare the onions.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil to a medium heat and slowly cook the onions until dark gold in colour.
- This should take approximately 20 minutes.
- Break the cooked rice up with a fork. In a large bowl mix together the cooked lentils, rice, toasted pistachios, fresh parsley, coriander and two thirds of the cooked onions.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pile high on a platter, top with the remainder of the onions and serve with the spicy tomato sauce.
Tip: In Altezano the dish is served with a generous spoonful of labne, a deliciously creamy yoghurt dressing.