This is a Classic Swiss/German street food.
|¼||Cabbages, small, very finely sliced (Main)|
|¼||Onions, sweet, white, very thinly sliced|
|¼ tsp||Caraway seeds, toasted in a dry pan until fragrant|
|3 Tbsp||Cider vinegar|
|1 Tbsp||Caster sugar|
|4||Sausages, use generous sized and top quality, preferably veal or pork (Main)|
|4 Tbsp||Wholegrain mustard, for serving|
|4 servings||Wholegrain bread, thick slices, buttered|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat a ridged grill pan to medium heat for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss cabbage and onion with salt and leave in a colander for 5 minutes, then rinse gently under cold water and shake dry. Place cabbage and onion in a bowl and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Stir vinegar and sugar together until sugar has all dissolved. Pour over vegetables and stir gently to combine.
- Split sausages lengthwise, almost all the way through, and open out (like a book). Place cut side down on hot grill and cook for about 4 minutes before turning, then cook for a further 2-4 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve each sausage with some pickled cabbage and a spoonful of mustard, with a slice of buttered brown bread on the side.