Victoria from Love Cake offers this allergy friendly cake that is guaranteed to find favour with all. It can be doubled to make a layered cake. Simply cut both cakes in half horizontally and sandwich together with whipped coconut cream or coconut yoghurt and caramelised bananas, if you wish. Top with chocolate ganache. To make it easier to work with, make the cakes the day before, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight. Assemble and decorate the next day.
|½ cup||Brown sugar, packed|
|4||Bananas, ripe, blended to a smooth puree|
|2 large||Eggs, free range, at room temperature|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence|
|¾ cup||Rice flour, Love Cake White brand (Main)|
|½ cup||Potato starch, Love Cake brand|
|2 Tbsp||Tapioca flour, Love Cake brand|
|2 tsp||Baking powder, check it's gluten-free|
|1 tsp||Baking soda, check it's gluten-free|
|½ tsp||Xanthan gum, Love Cake brand|
Dark chocolate ganache
|450 g||Dark chocolate, dairy-free (Main)|
|225 g||Coconut cream, full fat|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat oven to 180C and lightly grease a 20cm round cake tin with oil, or line with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, banana (make sure the puree is smooth) oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients into the same bowl and gently fold until the ingredients are well combined. Do not over-beat.
- Pour the batter into a greased tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the tin, before turning out. Ice cake when cold.
- Break chocolate up into small pieces in a large bowl.
- Pour coconut cream into small pot and heat until almost boiling. Pour it over the chocolate and swirl the bowl gently to ensure the chocolate is completely covered. Let the mix stand for about 1 minute.
- Use a spatula to gently combine the chocolate and coconut cream — it should slowly start to come together into a lovely velvet cream. Continue stirring until all the chocolate is melted. Let the ganache cool until it reaches the consistency of buttercream. At this point gently mix with a spatula and smooth or pipe on to the cake. decorate with caramelised bananas, if wished.
For more recipes, see our