Bakewell tart, traditionally made with jam, is a common treat at an English afternoon tea. Here I have replaced the jam with feijoas. The tart is quick and simple to make, and delicious served with a dollop of cream. The almonds and feijoas are an incredible combination.
|75 g||Butter, cubed|
|125 g||Ground almonds|
|½ tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Almond essence|
|1 tsp||Lemon zest|
|2 cups||Feijoas, peeled and roughly chopped (Main)|
|¼ cup||Sliced almonds|
- Heat the oven to 170C.
- Place the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and continue to mix until a dough forms. On a lightly floured bench roll dough to fit a 22cm tin. Line with baking paper and bake blind for 15 minutes until cooked.
- For the filling, melt the butter in a pot. Remove from heat. Add sugar, almonds, flour, baking powder, egg, essence and zest, combining well.
- Spread the feijoas evenly on the base of the pastry case. Gently spoon over the almond filling. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 50 minutes until lightly browned and set. Remove and cool in the tin before serving.
- Slice and serve with lightly whipped cream.
See more of Angela's fruity recipes