|120 g||Caster sugar|
|50 g||Melted butter|
|1 tsp||Ground nutmeg|
|1 tsp||Mixed spice|
|½ tsp||Ground ginger|
|600 g||Puff pastry (Main)|
|1||Egg white, lightly beaten|
|200 g||Blue cheese (Main)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Place currants, two thirds of the caster sugar, butter and spices in a large bowl and mix together to combine. Allow to sit for at least half an hour or overnight for the flavours to develop.
- Heat oven to 190-200C.
- Roll out pastry into a 4mm thick sheet on a lightly floured bench. Cut pastry into 8 x 12cm squares. Lightly moisten or spray a little water on the edges of the pastry squares.
- Spoon fruit filling into centre of each square. Take up pastry edges and crimp together to form a cross-shaped seal.
- Turn eccles cakes over, make 3 small snips with a pair of scissors to let the fairies out, brush with egg white and sprinkle well with remaining caster sugar.
- Place cakes on an oven tray lined with baking paper and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until dark golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving with a generous amount of buffalo blue cheese.