Cook the flatbreads just before serving for the best results. The dough can be made well ahead of time (refrigerate and remove 30 minutes before cooking). This dish is versatile — try adding your favourite seasonal fillings to change it up.
|1 clove||garlic, crushed|
|1 tsp||smoked paprika|
|2 Tbsp||tomato sauce|
|2 tsps||soy sauce|
|Pinch of||chilli flakes|
|6||field mushrooms, cut into 2cm slices|
|1 tsp||dried yeast|
|1 cup||hot water|
|1 ½ cups||plain flour|
|2 Tbsp||olive oil|
|2 cups||baby cos leaves|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- For the marinade, place the garlic, paprika, tomato sauce, soy and chilli flakes in a bowl and combine well. Remove half into a cup and add ¼ cup water to make the sauce.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the remaining marinade, tossing gently to cover.
- To make the flatbread, mix the yeast and sugar, then sprinkle over the hot water. Leave for 10 minutes until frothy. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the oil to the frothy yeast and pour into the flour, mixing well. Knead on a lightly floured bench for 5 minutes. Place in a clean bowl, cover and put in a warm area for 50 minutes to rise.
- Cook the mushrooms on a barbecue hotplate for 3-4 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- To cook the flatbread, divide the dough into 8 balls and roll to 5mm thick. Plate one or two on to a clean hot barbecue plate and cook for 3 or 4 minutes until bubbled, then flip and cook for a further 3 minutes. Stack while you cook the remainder.
- To serve, place the lettuce in a bowl. Combine the corn, avocado and lemon. Place a bit of each on a flatbread with mushrooms. Wrap and enjoy.