In partnership with Mainland
This is the perfect summer recipe. Packed with big flavours and our Mainland Haloumi, this shawarma will delight the tastebuds and your guests.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
|Mainland Haloumi, cut into 3cm cubes
|NZ Lamb leg steaks
|juice of 1
|Ground black pepper
|Finely shredded red cabbage
|Ripe cherry tomatoes, quartered
|Small radishes, thinly sliced (a mandolin is best for this)
|Lebanese cucumber, roughly chopped
|Large handful of fresh mint and coriander, roughly chopped
- Cut the lamb steaks into cubes roughly the same size as the haloumi squares. Quarter the onion and separate into petals. Place the haloumi, lamb and onion in a large bowl.
- In a small blender/processor, blitz the lemon juice with the garlic, spices, black pepper and olive oil. Pour over the lamb mixture. Use clean hands to massage the marinade all over the ingredients and then set aside to marinate for at least 2 hours, or ideally overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat your BBQ to full whack.
- Evenly thread the haloumi, lamb and onions onto 4 large skewers. Grill on the preheated BBQ for 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally until the lamb is tender, cooked and nicely charred.
- To serve: warm the flatbreads and then spread each one with some hummus. Sprinkle over the shredded cabbage then some tomatoes, radishes and cucumber. Transfer the grilled haloumi, meat and vegetables from each skewer to a flatbread. Dollop over some yoghurt, sprinkle over some coriander, mint and pomegranate seeds and then roll up, slice and dive in.
Tip: If you’ve got a crowd to feed, just double the recipe and let everybody build their own – it’s a fun hands-on meal!
The Mainland Special Reserve range is available at supermarkets and retailers nationwide. For this and more Mainland recipes to make and share, head to nzherald.co.nz/eatwell