Man charged after reportedly firing a shotgun in Hawke's Bay

The Armed Offenders Squad were called to Otane last night. Photo / Google Maps
The Armed Offenders Squad were called to Otane last night. Photo / Google Maps

A man has been charged after a shotgun was reportedly fired into the air in central Hawke's Bay last night.

Police and the Armed Offenders Squad were called to a domestic disturbance where shots were reportedly fired in Otane just after 8pm, closing State Highway 2.

A 51-year-old Hawke's Bay man has been charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, discharging a firearm near a dwelling, and threatening behaviour in relation to the incident.

There were no reported injuries.

Motorists headed north through Otane last night, were told to turn off at Argyll Rd, while those heading south had to use College Rd.

A nearby resident told the Herald last night they had been blocked off by police officers in the area.

"The roads are all shut off - we don't know why,'' she said.

The man is due to appear in Hastings District Court on March 3.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 26 May 2017 09:14:28 Processing Time: 411ms