A man who suffered severe burns in a Christchurch factory incident has died in hospital.
The man, who was in his 60s, was an independent contractor at Ravensdown fertiliser factory in Hornby, Christchurch when he received a serious electric shock on June 16.
The man was undertaking maintenance on circuit breakers at the plant when the incident occurred around 9:30am.
He was taken to hospital by ambulance and later airlifted to Middlemore Hospital's National Burns Centre.
He died at the hospital overnight, a Counties Manukau District Health Board spokeswoman confirmed.
Ravensdown chief executive Gareth Richards said at the time of the incident the man was an "integral part" of the company. He had worked for the company for a long time and he was "highly regarded by all who work with him".
"We take health and safety seriously and we're all gutted that something like this has happened. We're committed to providing a safe workplace for staff and contractors."
He said WorkSafe was advised and the company would work together to "undertake an investigation into what's happened and the lessons that can be learned".
"Our priority continues to be ensuring our people are cared for and our concerns and thoughts are with the affected person, his family and workmates," he said.
Five others were injured during the incident and treated at the scene.