Seacliff murder trial likely to begin early next year

Stephen Findlay was charged with murder after the body of Sharon Diane Comerford was found at her Coast Rd home. Photo / File
Stephen Findlay was charged with murder after the body of Sharon Diane Comerford was found at her Coast Rd home. Photo / File

The trial of a man accused of murdering a woman at Seacliff, near Dunedin, is likely to take place early next year.

Stephen Findlay, 59, was charged with murder after the body of Sharon Diane Comerford was found at her Coast Rd home early on March 8 this year.

The 54-year-old Comerford had been shot.

Findlay was found seriously injured in the nearby Truby King Reserve and charged on April 6 at a bedside hearing in Dunedin Public Hospital.

He appeared before Justice Wylie by audio visual link in the High Court at Dunedin today.

Counsel Judith Ablett-Kerr, QC, confirmed that Findlay had pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Justice Wylie said a definite trial date could not be given at this stage but the case could possibly be heard after another trial scheduled for February 13.

Mrs Ablett-Kerr said she had a trial in Wellington in mid-March but did not think that would interfere with the Findlay trial.

Findlay was remanded in custody for a formal callover of the case on August 23 this year.

- Otago Daily Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 29 May 2017 06:41:37 Processing Time: 328ms