A youth mentor accused of indecently assaulting boys over a 30 year period may have more victims, police say.
The 61-year-old man was charged with 11 counts of indecent assault on Friday, and since then three more alleged victims have come forward, field crime manager, Acting Detective Inspector Mark Greene of Waikato police said.
"These matters are currently before the courts so we don't want to interfere with the integrity of the case, but we believe there may be more victims we've yet to identify," he said.
"The alleged offending took place between the early 1980s and 2012.
"The alleged offender was a district Scout leader between 1976 and 1983 and has been a Youth Search and Rescue Co-ordinator holding positions of influence over teenagers aged 14-18 years.
"Both organisations are aware of the allegations and are cooperating fully with our investigations."
The investigation team would like to hear from anyone who may have been subject to inappropriate advances over this time period or whose children may have exhibited behaviours of concern, Mr Greene said.
Police were also working with both youth organisations to help them improve processes around vetting of personnel and early identification of potential victims to prevent similar incidents from occurring, he said.
"Incidents such as this are very disappointing when reflecting on the good these organisations do for our communities and youth, and the impact such revelations may have," Mr Greene said.
"The most important thing remains however, for us to identify any other potential victims and get them the support and care that they may need."