An occupant of a Leith Valley flat in Dunedin that has been the scene of recent controversy was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire at the property early yesterday morning.

Four appliances were sent to battle an upstairs fire in the former Woodhaugh Hotel in Malvern street at 5.15am.

One male was treated for smoke inhalation while others huddled around, some shirtless, as the fire service worked.

Local residents made public complaints about a recent St Patrick's day party at the address which spilled on to neighbouring properties.

Advertisement

One resident said he had his shirt ripped, glasses pulled off his face and his car's wing mirror yanked off after he confronted drunken revellers who were urinating on his property during the St Patrick's celebrations.