A violent paedophile who made a "hidey hole" in his home to conceal a girl he was abusing has been convicted of a string of sex crimes.

Michael Dunn, 57, from Redcar, knocked through the wall behind his fridge to create a cavity which he used to hide the runaway girl from police officers when they came to visit his home, the Daily Mail reported.

Teesside Crown Court heard he would use a bag of dust and a panel to camouflage the hole where the girl was kept, and had managed to conceal her from the police on eight or nine occasions.

He is now facing years behind bars after a jury convicted him of 10 rapes, three charges of false imprisonment and three charges of indecent assault.


The court was told that Dunn, who was "paranoid, controlling and short tempered", abused four victims with the offences spanning a number of decades.

Prosecutor Richard Bennett told the jury if any of his victims challenged him "they suffered physically" and "he had sex when he wanted".

"Michael Dunn is a violent, controlling and sexually abusive man," he said.

He told the jury the victims "were in his thrall and felt almost powerless" against their "paranoid and short-tempered" abuser.

The girl had already been the victim of sexual abuse, having been raped and beaten by another man.

Dunn repeatedly assaulted her, punching her in the face, chest and stomach and grabbing her throat. He also broke down a door when she tried to escape, leaving her in a "bloodied mess".

She later attempted suicide because of the abuse she endured, the jury heard. His crimes came to light when she went to police as an adult and made a complaint in 2014.

But when she confronted Dunn, he threatened: "I'll have you done for slander."
He also imprisoned a second female victim, subjecting her to repeated violence, and filled his house with cameras, locks on the outside of doors and alarms.

The court heard she submitted to sex in fear after he threatened to hit her.

He also groomed and sexually assaulted another vulnerable under-age girl, giving her alcohol and cigarettes, and raped another pre-teenage girl.

He told her afterwards: "It's what boyfriends and girlfriends do."
Harrowing photographs taken inside the property after Dunn's conviction reveal the appalling conditions his victim was subjected to.

The hole she was forced in was only a few feet wide, beneath a shelf laden with half empty vodka bottles.

Mould-ridden, damp and dark, she was forced to squeeze herself in the tiny crevice to avoid being found by any authorities sent to rescue her.

Prosecutor Mr Bennett said: "The Crown say he took advantage of that situation for his own sexual gratification."
Dunn was convicted of the string of sex offences on Wednesday.

The jury cleared him of one charge of rape, one of making a threat to kill and one of grievous bodily harm.

Detective Sergeant Dave Pettrick of Cleveland Police, said: "This was an extremely complex and difficult inquiry which spanned many years and several locations in the UK.

"I would first of all like to pay tribute to the victims for their bravery and for supporting our investigation, which enabled us to bring Dunn before the courts.

"Essentially Dunn groomed several women and young girls, in some cases making them completely dependent on him, and carrying out sexual offences against all of them.

"Some of the victims were kept in line through Dunn's extreme violence or even through the fear of violence and he had complete and absolute control over their lives.

"He ensured he and his victims evaded the authorities while he continued to abuse and control the women."
He added: "Needless to say, all four women are deeply affected by their terrible ordeal.

"I hope today's verdict will bring some comfort to them as they attempt to move on with their lives."

An NSPCC spokesperson told MailOnline: "Dunn is a violent sexual predator who went to extraordinary lengths to cover up his sickening crimes.

"His actions will have had a hugely damaging effect on his vulnerable young victims and they've shown tremendous courage in reliving their ordeals in court.

"Thanks to them justice has finally been served and a long campaign of horrific abuse is over."

Judge Tony Briggs remanded Dunn in custody until his next appearance.