Beautiful young Australian doctor Angela Jay did what thousands of other single women do every week, and it very nearly killed her.

The 28-year-old went on dating app Tinder, found a photograph of a man who looked nice, and swiped right.

Paul Dennis Lambert, 36, seemed perfect. Handsome, a good job and a warm smile. And by the time she found out he was an obsessive stalker, it was too late.

The pair met on Tinder eight weeks ago, but the affair quickly soured when Jay told Lambert she didn't want to see him any more.


He didn't take the news well. After weeks of harassment and violent threats, he went to her home and exploded in a frenzy of rage that ended with Jay fighting for her life in hospital after he stabbed her 11 times and doused her with petrol, and Lambert shot dead by police.

Lambert had repeatedly warned Jay he had keys to her house in Magnolia Close, a quiet cul-de-sac in a well-kept part of Port Macquarie.

"Your (sic) not safe in that house. I have some of the house keys," he texted her, according to court documents submitted when she applied for an AVO against Lambert.

"I need you to understand this is my good side right now. The good side won't last long. Especially being rejected."

He also threatened to "throw himself in front of a train" if she didn't take him back, and even used a second phone to call her, pretending to be a friend and saying "Lambert would kill himself and it would be her fault".

Paul Lambert's flatmate said Paul was excited that he had met someone. Photo / Facebook
Paul Lambert's flatmate said Paul was excited that he had met someone. Photo / Facebook

Jay weakened under the pressure and gave him another chance but the obsession worsened and, after attending a function together in Gosford on Saturday night, the young doctor could not take any more.

She left the function and fled to her sister's house, but Lambert "turned up" unannounced "a couple of times through the night" and, the following day, the obsessed ­finance worker texted and called Jay 50 times, ­demanding she take him back.

This made Jay "feel scared and uncomfortable," court papers state, and she ­reported his behaviour to police, saying she was "terrified of what Lambert may be capable of" as he continued to message and call her.


She told police she wanted an AVO and was "scared that he won't stop".

She was frighteningly, horrifyingly right.

On Thursday night, Jay arrived home from work about 6pm to find Lambert had broken into her house.

In a rage he stabbed her repeatedly with a large knife and poured petrol over her.

Somehow the brave doctor managed to escape and ran to a neighbour's house, where incredibly she was able to tell the male neighbour what to do to stem the bleeding.

Serious condition

By the time paramedics and police arrived, she was stabilised but in a serious condition and was rushed to Port Macquarie Base Hospital.

Lambert had fled the scene and police launched a massive manhunt. They finally spotted him driving along the Pacific Hwy about 9.45pm.

Officers gave chase and he was eventually cornered at Bonville, near Coffs Harbour.

Lambert was shot dead when he launched himself at police with a knife.

The incident came just two weeks after Gable Tostee was acquitted of murdering Warriena Wright in the Brisbane Supreme Court.

Tostee and Wright had met only hours earlier on Tinder, before she fell 14-floors to her death in August 2014.

Back in Kogarah in Sydney's south, Lambert's shocked housemate Elisa Patten told The Daily Telegraph he was a "normal" guy who was "lively" but "kept to himself".

She said he kept long hours as a finance worker and she rarely saw him.

A shocked Patten said: "I knew something was wrong as the cops came to the house looking for him two days ago.

"I knew he had a girlfriend Angela who was pretty, but I only met her briefly.

"He was excited he had met someone and said that he really liked her."

Lambert had been due to appear in court on November 16 for the AVO hearing. He was also facing charges of driving while disqualified.