South Australia has recorded its first locally acquired Covid-19 case after more than 200 days of not having any community transmission.
At least one new locally acquired infection is expected to be announced later on Wednesday morning.
NCA NewsWire has been told by sources the state has recorded new local cases for the first time since November last year.
SA Health workers are scrambling to determine the source of the infection and how many other community members were in contact with the person.
As of Tuesday, the state had gone 212 days without recorded any community transmission; the last was related to the Parafield cluster that threw the state into a three-day lockdown in November last year.
Earlier today, SBS Political Correspondent in South Australia Shuba Krishnan tweeted this morning that "a family of five are Covid positive".
Earlier this week, the potential seeding of Covid-19 from interstate spooked SA authorities into introducing tougher restrictions that came into effect at 12.01am on Tuesday.
SA authorities introduced changes to prevent the spread of the highly transmissible Delta variant that has wreaked havoc across the nation, throwing majority of other jurisdictions into lockdowns.
Under the restrictions, masks will need to be worn in high risk settings like aged care facilities and hospitals, and were "highly recommended" for commuters using public transport and rideshare vehicles.
A cap of 150 people will be allowed at private gatherings, including weddings and funerals.
Licensed premises will have a density arrangement of one person per two sqm and only seated alcohol consumption will be allowed indoors.
No communal facilities, like buffets or smoking shisha, are permitted.
Following Monday's announcement, both Premier Steven Marshall and chief public health officer Nicola Spurrier have strongly encouraged South Australians to get tested as soon as system develop, to get vaccinated if eligible and use QR codes.
At the time, Professor Spurrier said the evolving Covid-19 situation across the nation was "very concerning".
"If we get this Delta strain in our community with the behaviours that we have, we will have a very serious problem that I can't promise we'll get on top of (because of the low level of restrictions)," she said.
"If anyone wants to think about what kind of problem it could be, have a look at NSW."
The New Zealand Ministry of Health confirmed earlier this week that from 11.59pm on Sunday, July 4, the pause on the transtasman bubble will lift for South Australia, ACT, Tasmania and Victoria.
Travellers from Australia will need a pre-departure test within 72 hours of their flight, which will need to be negative.
Chris Hipkins said a high level of risk remained for NSW, as well as for Queensland, Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
Chris Hipkins and Dr Ashley Bloomfield are due to give an update to New Zealand at 1pm today.