NZ Herald sports editor Winston Aldworth and journalist Chris Reive react to Tanah Boyd's injury, Auckland FC making the final, the World Surf League in Raglan, and Super Rugby.
Warriors front rower Jackson Ford has been overlooked for New South Wales’ State of Origin opener against Queensland next week.
Ford, 28, had been widely tipped to make his Blues debut for this year’s series opener in Sydney, after a fantastic start to the season with the Kiwi club.
Evenas a front rower, Ford has played 80 minutes in four out of 10 games for the Warriors, and was reportedly told by New South Wales to pack extra for last weekend’s trip to Brisbane to face the Broncos.
“Jackson’s probably a guy who just plays through the middle.
“There’s always some people who are unlucky, but at the end of the day, we feel like this is a really good team.”
Newcastle Knights prop Jacob Saifiti has instead been called up as a specialist front rower on an extended bench, for what will be his third New South Wales appearance, and first since 2023.
Co-captain Mitch Barnett is the only Warriors player selected, with hooker Wayde Egan also overlooked in favour of Reece Robson and Blayke Brailey of the Sydney Roosters and Cronulla Sharks respectively, after also reportedly being told to pack extra.
On the other side, Kurt Capewell is the sole Warrior picked for Queensland, and will start in the second row.
Elsewhere, former Warriors forward Addin Fonua-Blake has benefited from State of Origin’s eligibility changes, and will start alongside Barnett in the front row.
Jackson Ford of the Warriors during the NRL Round 6 match between the Melbourne Storm and the New Zealand Warriors at AAMI Park in Melbourne, Saturday, April 11, 2026. (AAP Image/Joel Carrett/Photosport) JFord
This year saw eligibility rules relaxed, meaning players who have lived in either New South Wales or Queensland can be eligible, even if they’ve chosen to represent another country at test level.
Fonua-Blake, 30, has represented both the Kiwis and Tonga internationally, but Daley has wasted no time in calling him into New South Wales’ starting side, in a Warriors reunion with Barnett.
Kiwis and Penrith Panthers centre Casey McLean has been selected along the same lines, having grown up in New South Wales.
Fellow Kiwi Briton Nikora will make his Queensland debut, after he was named in the Maroons’ No 14 jersey.
Roosters forward Victor Radley is another to benefit, and could make his State of Origin debut for New South Wales, despite having played for England since 2022.
Game one of three will kick off at 10pm NZT on May 27.
New South Wales: 1. James Tedesco, 2. Brian To’o, 3. Stephen Crichton, 4. Kotoni Staggs, 5. Tolatu Koula, 6. Mitchell Moses, 7. Nathan Cleary, 8. Addin Fonua-Blake, 9. Reece Robson, 10. Mitchell Barnett, 11. Hudson Young, 12. Haumole Olakau’atu, 13. Isaah Yeo (c)