Sport Headlines | Carlos Alcaraz confirms withdrawal from Wimbledon and Zoe Hobbs wins the 100 metres at the Oceania Athletics Championships | Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Kiwis second-rower Briton Nikora said he’s out to prove critics of new State of Origin eligibility rules wrong, as he prepares to represent Queensland for the first time.
Nikora moved to the Australian state before his 13th birthday, so can represent the Maroons – despite having played 16 tests forNew Zealand.
The 28-year-old, who will come off the bench for the May 27 series opener, said Queensland gave his family a “better life” and he is ready to prove he deserves to wear the jersey.
“I moved over here when I was 9 years old,” Nikora said.
“Obviously a few things have been going on about the eligibility rules.
Nikora played his junior league on the Gold Coast with the Parkwood Sharks and attended Keebra Park State High School, which has one of Australia’s most successful schoolboy programmes in the sport.
“I’m not here to just take part. I’m here to put this Queensland jersey in a better place,” he said.
“If that’s for one game or however many games I play ... I just want to prove myself and actually show it.
“That’s what I’m looking forward to.”
Nikora said he looked up to New Zealand-born Ben Te’o, who followed a similar path to him and is now on the Maroons’ coaching staff.
“As I was coming up, I played in the same position, so just seeing him around camp, I’m still buzzing about it.
“I went to Keebra Park as well and you have all those type of players’ names on the wall that have made it in the NRL, just for motivation at school.
“His name was on the wall as well.”
Addin Fonua-Blake, who previously represented New Zealand at international level but now plays for Tonga, was selected as part of the New South Wales squad, while Kalyn Ponga, who switched allegiance from Australia to the Kiwis, will wear No 1 for the Maroons.
Kiwis and Penrith Panthers centre Casey McLean has also been selected for the Blues.