Former Hokitika athlete Holly Robinson was "buzzing" and "shattered" at the same time after winning a silver medal in the women's javelin F46 at the Paralympics in Rio de Janeiro early this morning.

Robinson threw a massive personal best of 41.22m on her fifth attempt, elevating her from the bronze medal position to silver. The gold medal winner was another Holly, Holly Arnold of Great Britain, with a world record throw of 43.01m

Speaking to the Greymouth Star this morning Robinson said she was "stoked" with her medal win.

"I had a great build up to the games and knew I would be able to go all right. I wanted to throw a personal best - I did that and got a silver medal for it."


Robinson said the wait was nail-biting as the thrower following her, Poland's Katarzyna Piekart, in both the fifth and sixth round, was then in third place.

"It was not until she (Piekart) had her sixth-round throw that I knew I'd won a silver medal."

Up until the fifth round the Coaster was in third spot.

"It was so cool - it was amazing," Robinson said.

On her way back to the Paralympic village, said made a quick phone call to her family in Hokitika.

"They watched the event at 2.30am (New Zealand time) and when I called them I woke them up again. They were so proud of me. I am so grateful to my family, they have been behind me all the way and given me 100 per cent support."

Robinson said she was also appreciative of the support she had received from on the West Coast, and acknowledged her first athletic coach, Danny Spark, who started training her at the Greymouth Junior Athletic Club when she was 9.

"It was Danny who started me off. He taught me all the basics. He is an amazing person and I certainly cannot thank him enough. That also goes for my coach of five years in Dunedin, Raylene Bates. She has worked hard for me."


Robinson said she was shattered after the event.

"The temperature had reached 38C. It was ridiculously hot and another element I had to compete against."

She was given a New Zealand flag from her supporters, and held it high as she celebrated her success.

- Greymouth Star