Ticket holders who missed the Rugby World Cup opening match because of "unprecedented" public transport failures are set to be compensated with semi-final tickets.
Nearly 1000 people have reported they missed the cup opening ceremony at Eden Park because of train delays, with some missing the game between the All Blacks and Tonga.
Auckland Mayor Len Brown today announced the compensation package for those who missed out on opening night action.
Anyone who missed out on the opening ceremony and part or all of the opening match has been offered tickets to semi-final 1 at Eden Park on October 15, which will likely feature England or France versus Ireland or Wales.
Those who missed part or all of the opening ceremony are set to get tickets to the bronze final on October 21.
Mr Brown said the package went some way to make up for the disappointment caused by the delays.
"We have arrived at a package that we think is fair to those who were caught up in the unprecedented opening night delays.
"We know we can't make up for the experience that was missed, but hope this gesture of goodwill is received in the spirit in which it is made.
Auckland Council last week confirmed 462 ticket holders had registered for the compensation package.
They had registered on behalf of 922 people, a council spokeswoman said.
Anyone registering late was to be dealt with on a case by case basis, she said.
- HERALD ONLINE