A park ranger in the Wellington region was assaulted when leaving their vehicle to help a potentially injured motorcycle rider.
A 32-year-old man has been charged in relation to the incident and Greater Wellington Regional Council has installed new CCTV cameras. The council is also looking at self-defence training for staff.
The incident happened on the morning of December 28 last year at Queen Elizabeth Park. It has been reported in recent council committee meeting documents.
"It was only when the ranger left the protection of his vehicle to aid a potentially injured motorcycle rider that the unpredictable and unsolicited attack occurred," the report said.
A police spokesperson said a 32-year-old man was charged with injures with intent to injure, common assault, and driving with excess breath alcohol.
He is due to reappear in court later this month.
The council's environment management group general manager Al Cross said the ranger was responding to a report of motorbikes illegally riding through the park.
"Greater Wellington cannot accept this kind of hostile behaviour and take a zero-tolerance attitude towards any kind of unchecked physical violence.
"Support for our ranger has been thorough and conducted with care. Regular wellbeing check ins and rehabilitation continue."
The council was continuing to work with police to investigate and review the incident, Cross said.
A health safety and wellbeing review as well as focus groups involving parks staff have sparked several practical solutions going forward, Cross said.
These included the installation of CCTV cameras at park entry points and around ranger facilities.
Better protocols have also been identified for monitoring and responding to challenging and abusive situations.
Further duress functions on a new radio network were being rolled out and the council was exploring self-defence training, Cross said.