A sunny morning for many parts of New Zealand is likely to give way to a patchy evening but most areas will avoid a serious winter lashing.
WeatherWatch said Kiwis in sheltered inland areas experienced frosts this morning. One of those areas was Taupo, where the temperature was just -2.8C at 5am this morning.
"Beyond this typical winter stuff, there aren't many serious weather risks around the country on Thursday - with the exception of South Westland," WeatherWatch forecasters said.
A front approaching the South Island's West Coast would bring heavy rains to the region overnight or from late this evening.
MetService expected heavy rain for Westland and parts of Fiordland from this evening through to tomorrow afternoon, with the biggest accumulations likely in the Westland ranges.
Heavy rain was expected to reach the Nelson ranges tomorrow.
MetService expected northeast gales to pepper Fiordland, Westland and Buller this evening and tomorrow morning.
In Christchurch, northerly breezes were expected today, with a mix of sun and cloud and a high of 11C forecast.
In Wellington, WeatherWatch expected mostly sunny skies with cloud in the afternoon and northerly breezes, and temperatures barely breaking into double figures.
Forecasters expected light northerlies and sunny conditions to run the show in Auckland this morning but a cloudier afternoon with temperatures in the mid-teens was expected.
Thursday's national forecast
• Northland, Auckland, Waikato and Bay Of Plenty: Sunny with some high cloud, light northerlies. Cloud increases later in the day. Highs 14-16C
• Western and Central North Island: Sunny areas and some high cloud, cloud moves into Taranaki from afternoon then further south in the evening. Light northerly winds. High 13C
• Eastern North Island: A mostly sunny day with light winds tending northeasterly in the afternoon, cloud increases overnight. Highs 12-13C
• Wellington: Sunny areas with northerly winds, cloud thickening later. High 11C
• Marlborough and Nelson: Mostly sunny with high cloud increasing from afternoon, northerly winds. Nelson sees areas of cloud increase from morning, late evening patchy showers. Highs 12-15C
• Canterbury: Sunny areas and some increasing high cloud, northeasterly winds. High 11C
• West Coast: Mostly cloudy with patchy showers, rain moves in during the evening with heavy falls overnight mainly about South Westland. Highs 10-11C
• Southland and Otago: High cloud with northeasterly winds, the odd spot of rain possible mainly morning. Highs 10-11C