A cyclist caught a glimpse of spectacular fire show in rural Auckland, early this morning, when a van overheated and burst into flames before his eyes.
Cameron Fisher was out training on his bike and was heading back into the city from Puhoi when a van drove past blowing smoke.
"We came down towards Waiwera and engulfed in flames was the van."
Mr Fisher said it was totally engulfed and the tyres were exploding with the heat.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
He said the owner had managed to get out of the vehicle, with his tools, and was standing back taking photos of the fire.
He spoke to the owner who said the van had overheated and then just burst into flames.
Mr Fisher said the fire service arrived on the scene fairly quickly to put the fire out.