The two men injured in an explosion at a South Auckland house yesterday remain in a stable condition at Middlemore hospital this morning.
Emergency services were called to the scene of the fire yesterday morning after receiving calls from commuters who saw the blaze from the motorway.
The owners of a house damaged in the explosion are thankful they weren't at home with their baby at the time.
A fire service spokesman said two people were found inside the home by staff.
They were removed and given first aid, before St John arrived.
The ambulance service was called to the fire at 7.25am.
The home belongs to first home buyers Chris and Jess Lawrence.
They told the Herald they had bought the home in December and were renovating it. During the final stages of renovation they had moved to Chris's parents home with their one year old baby.
The explosion occurred while the floors were being sanded.
"I'm really thankful that it didn't happen while we were there with our baby" said Jess. She said she didn't know what had caused the explosion . "A couple of guys were hurt which is absolutely horrifying" she said.
Fire engines arrived at the scene within about five minutes of the first call.
Two WorkSafe investigators were also called to the scene.
It is understood maintenance on the house was being done by company Nick's Floorsanding.
When contacted by the Herald, a woman, who identified herself as business owner Nick Afeaki's mother in law, said she was very upset about what had happened, and did not want to comment further.