Two men are dead and one man seriously ill after suffering gas poisoning during a fishing trip.
A man rescued from carbon monoxide poisoning that killed two of his friends in a cabin at a camping ground near Raglan has been transferred to a Naval Hyperbaric centre in Auckland.
Two men on a fishing trip died from carbon monoxide poisoning after they took a charcoal BBQ cooker into their cabin.
Sergeant Brent Wallace of Huntly Police said officers were called to the Ruapuke Camping Ground about 8am today.
"Two men had been found dead in the cabin while a third was found injured, the cause of the men's death is yet to be formally established," he said.
"Initial indications are that the men died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by the use of a charcoal burning portable BBQ type cooker in the confined space of the cabin."
The alarm was raised this morning when other members of the men's group noticed the trio hadn't gotten up early as planned to go fishing.
"Friends have knocked on the trio's door which was locked and heard the injured man say that he was hurt and couldn't move.
"Attempts to kick open the door proved unsuccessful so the manager drilled out a window latch to gain entry to the room, the injured man was found on the floor, the dead men were still in their beds," he said.
The injured 32-year-old Hamilton man was flown to Waikato Hospital by air ambulance in a serious condition, he has since been transferred to the Navy's Hypobaric Unit in Devonport.
"Today's deaths were a tragic reminder of the risks of using any type of fuel burner in a confined space," said Mr Wallace.
"The Police would like to offer their condolences to the bereaved families at this time," he said.