Syrians in New Zealand say they are "devastated" at the failure of Kofi Annan's six point plan for peace in Syria.
Syrian Solidarity New Zealand (SSNZ) says it is deeply concerned over reports of continued violence despite the ceasefire deadline having already ticked over.
SSNZ spokesman Ali Akil said the violence continued right up until yesterday's 6am deadline (3pm local time) and since then, at least 11 people have been killed.
Syrian families in New Zealand are "totally devastated" that the regime is not withdrawing any of its weaponry and has continued its attack on the Syrian people.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
"To be honest, we did expect failure. Nonetheless, we held fast hoping that it would work.
"It was clear to us from the history of the regime that they would not keep their word. The only thing they can see is violence," Akil said.
Shaam News Network reports the ceasefire has been continually interrupted by bombing, sniper fire and mortar shelling and despite peace plan agreements, no detainees have been released.
Annan's six point peace plan, sponsored by both the UN and Arab League, has been internationally regarded as a solution to the crisis in Syria. An agreement by Assad's army to withdraw tanks on Tuesday, April 10 and cease fire on Thursday has been flouted, with the bloody violence continuing through the week.
Despite ongoing disappointment in the division of the international community, SSNZ is calling for immediate action.
Because of the regime's "complete and utter disregard for the rights of its people and the international community," more extreme measures must be taken, such as the enforcement of a no-fly zone and military support for the Syria's main rebel group, the Syrian Free Army, says Akil.
"In the meantime, there is an urgent need for humanitarian and medical aid for the tens of thousands of displaced and injured."