Amazing NASA photos have revealed new land off the coast of Kaikoura, raised out of ocean the by last month's 7.8 magnitude earthquake - land which is there to stay.
The incredible satellite images shot by NASA's Earth Observatory have captured the seabed lifting up to two metres along a 20-kilometre stretch of the Kaikoura coast - and in one area, a jaw-dropping 5.5 metre uplift.
The latest image, taken on November 25, clearly shows huge chunks of new rock around the Kaikoura peninsula compared to an earlier photo taken on October 12.
Land raised by quakes can often end up sinking back down, but this newly-exposed land is being tipped to stay.
According to GeoNet the coastal uplift will "probably not" sink back down and will become a "permanent feature."
The American space agency's earth observatory uses satellite data to track the cause and effect of climatic and environmental change, with a report on the organisation's website describing the change as "remarkable."
Locals are still feeling the fallout from last month's natural disaster which killed two people.
From Monday milk tankers and other essential freight will be given access in and out of Kaikoura.
Following the magnitude 7.8 quake on November 14, the inland road - route 70 - to Kaikoura has been blocked off due to landslides and faulting damage.
The New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) this week established a schedule of controlled access. Providing the weather was reasonable essential freight vehicles will have access on route 70 from this coming week.
Transport Minister Simon Bridges said the inland road between Kaikoura and Mt Lyford was still fragile, but crews had been working to clear the road.
"While the inland road between Kaikoura and Mt Lyford is still a very fragile and hazardous route, crews have been working hard to clear the road of more than 50 slips to get it to a state where it can now be used safely, with vehicles travelling in supervised convoys," Bridges said.
Work was also underway to clear State Highway 1, south of Kaikoura.
NZTA is aiming to restore controlled, single lane access for residents and essential services on the road by mid-December.