They asked a nearby parent to keep an eye on the driver and the bus while they took the can to the school’s acting principal, Kate Fortune.
The parent said they returned to the bus with Fortune and reached in, grabbed the driver’s bag and opened it.
They alleged to have found an empty can of beer alongside two unopened cans.
Fortune then asked the driver to follow her into the school office.
Fortune and the school board’s presiding member, Jemma Scott-Davidson, wrote in a letter to parents on Tuesday that Fortune had removed the driver from the bus area and phoned Ritchies immediately.
The pair said Ritchies picked up the driver and the bus and that the company would contact the Ministry of Education and police. The school also alerted those authorities.
Ritchies confirmed it was investigating the incident, saying no further comment would be provided.
The ministry’s acting hautū (leader) operations and integration, Julia Hardacre, said the driver had been stood down.
“We are taking this matter extremely seriously.”
Hardacre said the driver would not be allowed to operate any ministry transport service while the employer carried out an investigation.
She confirmed police had been notified.
“The next steps sit with the police, the employer and the employee,” Hardacre said.
Police received a report on Friday afternoon. They told the Northern Advocate they would follow up with the school and Ritchies before deciding on next steps.
Fortune and Scott-Davidson, in their letter, told parents the school would meet with Ritchies to discuss what actions had been taken so far and how to ensure the driver’s behaviour would not be repeated.
They confirmed they had seen comments that people had previously noticed erratic driving or drinking, but went on to say the school had been unaware of safety or suitability concerns about the driver until Friday afternoon.
Fortune and Scott-Davidson asked anyone with concerns about driver safety or other issues that might impact student health, safety and wellbeing to contact the school.
Hardacre said the safety of students travelling on ministry school transport services was paramount.
“The ministry expects all transport providers to operate within legislation and to have clear rules around the safe operating of services, including the consumption of alcohol.”
Hardacre said all ministry school transport drivers must have a passenger endorsement and be safety checked in accordance with the Children’s Act 2014.
Brodie Stone covers crime and emergency for the Northern Advocate. She has spent most of her life in Whangārei and is passionate about delving into issues that matter to Northlanders and beyond.