A police file on the attack on MP Brian Donnelly in Wellington last week is being handled by Diplomatic Protection Squad head Inspector Bruce Blayney.

New Zealand First MP Mr Donnelly yesterday made a statement to Whangarei police following a fracas in Wellington early last Thursday.

His complaint came more than four days after the assault took place, raising questions over New Zealand First claims that it is tough on crime.

Mr Donnelly was injured when a group of men apparently tried to assault party leader Winston Peters.

Mr Blayney said he was waiting for the file to arrive.

All he knew about the incident was what he had seen in news reports.

"Anything to do with members of Parliament, the Executive or diplomats, I tend to get the file and ascertain whether it's something I deal with, or I delegate to somebody else," he said.

Mr Donnelly and Mr Peters had been at the Hummingbird cafe-bar in Courtenay Place with other politicians and journalists.

Mr Donnelly suffered a cut mouth and a bruised ear in the fracas.

At the weekend he said it was his decision not to call police immediately after the assault.

"When I heard the restaurant manager ask if we wanted to call the police I was just getting off the ground.

"I made sure no major damage had been done and all I wanted to do was go home."

* Mr Donnelly is not the only New Zealand First MP in the wars at the moment.

On Friday night, new MP Edwin Perry also suffered a nasty injury - but this time it happened on the rugby field.

Mr Perry, aged 54, was playing for the Parliamentary First XV against the Musicians team in the curtain-raiser for the NPC game at Eden Park.

Playing second five-eighths, Mr Perry tackled the opposition winger as he raced down the sideline.

The ball spilled out and Mr Perry picked it up, making for the tryline at the opposite end. But he was brought down in a tackle.

As he tried to feed the ball back to his forwards, National leader Bill English, playing centre, ploughed into the maul in support of Mr Perry. Unfortunately, Mr English's head connected with Mr Perry's eyebrow and split it open.

Mr Perry spent the last 10 minutes of the game in the bloodbin. His wound needed nine stitches and he has a bit of a shiner. Mr English was not hurt.

Mr Perry said the injury had happened in the same spot as an old rugby wound. But he said he was used to the rough and tumble of the game - he used to play in the senior grade in Hawkes Bay.