Two men charged with killing Shannon Shelby Baker have appeared in Auckland District Court today.

The men, aged 28 and 34, appeared before Judge Tony Fitzgerald.

They were both granted named suppression and remanded in custody without plea.

The first defendant, aged 34, will next appear in the Auckland High Court on March 6.

Advertisement

The second defendant, aged 28, will next appear in the Auckland High Court on February 20.

Last night, police announced the two men had been arrested following a homicide investigation into the death of 55-year-old Baker.

Shannon Baker, 55, was found dead inside his home on Calgary St on December 11. Photo / supplied
Shannon Baker, 55, was found dead inside his home on Calgary St on December 11. Photo / supplied

The arrests were made after a police search at two properties yesterday morning.

The men were charged with the murder of Baker, as well as aggravated robbery and aggravated burglary of his home.

Baker was found dead inside his home on Calgary St in Sandringham, Auckland, on December 11, 2018.

A family spokesperson said: "The news that people have been charged has been the best news we could wish for and while the whole family is still angry that this happened we feel very relieved there has been a result."

Detective Inspector Aaron Pascoe said a large group of detectives had been working tirelessly on Operation Epopeus for two months in an effort to find those responsible for Baker's death, and to bring closure to his family.

Pascoe said: "The investigation was a complex one, and we want to thank people who have contacted us after our many appeals for information."

Operation Epopeus

Operation Epopeus was launched after police located Baker's body on the morning of December 11.

In a media briefing last month, Detective Inspector Aaron Pascoe said Baker had been subjected to a violent death.

Police believe Baker was targeted by offenders with the motivation of robbery.

"Through speaking with his associates, we have discovered two earlier occasions in December where Baker's address was targeted.

"The first incident occurred on Sunday, December 2, where two male offenders arrived at the property and threatened Baker, before stealing property including [his] wallet," Pascoe said.

Pascoe said at least one of these offenders returned to Baker's house four days later, on December 6, and threatened him again.

During these earlier incidents, Pascoe said Baker's property was searched, ransacked and drawers tipped out.

Police believe there is likely to be a link between these previous incidents and Baker's death.

No detail has currently been released on how Baker died, however police earlier said both drug and gang relations were being considered in the investigation.

Baker was last seen alive by an associate when he dropped them at an address not far from his house on the evening of his death.