A 10-year-old boy has been airlifted to hospital after swallowing a battery.

The Trustpower TECT Rescue Helicopter was sent to Waihau Bay, in the Eastern Bay of Plenty, at 5pm yesterday.

The boy had been playing around with batteries and accidentally swallowed one.

Due to the corrosive nature of the battery and the likely injuries, the Trustpower TECT Rescue Helicopter was tasked to pick up the boy from Waihau Bay Fire Station and transport him to Tauranga Hospital for assessment and treatment.