A Lower Hutt man is getting ready to build a wall of two-tonne concrete blocks around his home to keep his young children safe from drunk drivers if authorities do not take action soon.

Blair Ansell is waiting to hear from authorities about their plan to slow down speeding cars following three crashes at his Naenae property in 12 months.

The most recent was on Thursday, where a line of concrete blocks was all that appeared to stop a car from smashing through into the front yard where his children play.

Ansell said he was at his wit's end waiting for authorities to come up with a plan for the dangerous corner.

Advertisement

He said he had 30 more blocks at a yard ready to go if he did not hear from Hutt City Council soon.

"I'll fill the gaps in between the blocks that are there and if nothing comes of that, worst case scenario, I'll have to tear down my entire fence that I've just built and I'll have to build a two-block-high fence inside my fence line.

"It's at my cost but I can't put a price on my kids' heads and that could've been my son the other day and I'm not prepared to let that happen."

Ansell said he understood a pedestrian crossing, signage and speed bumps were being considered.

Hutt City Council divisional transport manager John Gloag said it was disappointing to hear of a third crash at the property.

"The message from police and council about the need to stick to the speed limit has clearly not got through to all motorists."

Gloag said the council was in regular contact with the family and had fast-tracked an investigation into options to reduce the risk caused by speeding motorists.

"The concrete blocks are not a permanent solution, which is why we are working with the Ansell family and their neighbours on something that will work for the community long term."

Advertisement

Gloag said the council would soon be in a position to recommend a preferred option, which would be consulted on by those living in the area.

Hutt Valley area response manager senior sergeant Pete Middlemiss said police had increased patrols in the area.

"It is a recognised problem area, however we also encourage drivers to protect themselves and their passengers by driving to the conditions at all time, within the speed limit, driving sober and alert, and making sure everyone in the car wears a safety belt."

Meanwhile, police have confirmed the first crash in January last year was a drink driver.

Wellington road policing manager inspector Jan Craig said the driver was found guilty of excess blood alcohol causing injury and dangerous driving.

Craig said police were continuing to investigate the crash on Boxing Day and tests for excess blood alcohol were being carried out.

Advertisement

"It's likely that charges will be laid for this crash if the tests return a positive result for alcohol."