A Christchurch man said his own decision to flee from police at speeds of up to 200km/h early one morning was the "stupidest thing" he had ever done.

Kyle Falcon, 45, contacted the Herald, following this weekend's fatal pursuit in Auckland.

He hoped to urge others not to risk their lives and repeat the same mistake he did.

A woman, 25, and man, 29 died after the car they were in crashed into a tree in Morningside on Sunday morning - the second fatal chase within a fortnight.

Earlier this month, Morrocco Tai, 15, was killed within moments of fleeing from police in a stolen car in South Auckland.


Falcon was lucky - his decision to flee from cops took his licence, for a year, not his life.
He said he was also put under supervision for nine months.

Looking back now and in light of recent events Falcon said he was all too aware at how "stupid" a decision it was to flee from police one morning, 10 years ago.

He had earlier that morning let "road rage" get the better of him when a 4WD narrowly avoided crashing into his car when it sped through a red light.

"I got angry at it, got up beside them and abused the hell out of them, tit for tat kind of thing."

When he returned home, Falcon saw police waiting outside his house.

"For me it was a split decision, deal with police or get away. I could not be bothered dealing with the police then, so I put my foot down, and led them on a bit of a chase.

"I thought at the time it was just a bit of a race, get away or get caught."

Falcon estimated he got up to speeds of 200km/h before cops gave up the chase about 5km down the road.

"Still to this day I don't really know what triggered my mind to think that way."

Ever since Falcon said he has become more aware of how easily he could have died, and this weekend's fatal pursuit served as another reminder of how lucky he was.

The recent fatal pursuits have also led to calls from road-safety campaigner Clive Matthew-Wilson for the police to rethink their pursuit policy and look to ban or restrict the practice.

However, the Christchurch man said it was easy to blame police but said the officers were just doing their job.

He said if speeds were getting too high, it would probably be best for police to back off a little.

"I had the feeling if police had backed off I would have slowed right down as well."

But he urged drivers not to be so quick to speed away from officers in the first place.

"I want people to think twice when they see the red and blue. The best thing to do is stop - a $150 ticket is cheaper than killing someone, or killing yourself."