By Matiu Workman

Blotches of red and green paint remain splattered outside a Dunedin business, in what its owner feels is a constant reminder of the torture he faced at the hands of Jeremy Buis.

The now-former Dunedin police officer has been convicted, sentenced and has recently left his job, but his impact on 39-year-old Danny Pryde remains.

The company was first paint bombed in 2013, when red paint was splashed on the building. Police determined it came from a moving vehicle.


"It's a constant reminder actually," Pryde said.

The bomb, made from a paint-filled lightbulb, was one of the first incidents in a spree that the Dunedin District Court heard in March lasted at least two-and-a-half years.

There were threatening texts, fake gay dating profiles with Pryde's contact details, and offensive messages strewn on roads, park benches and on public parks with weed killer.

He was told to get his life insurance ready and to sort his affairs. Buis was out to get him.

"There are all sorts of bizarre things and that's why I felt like it had never finished, and I'm still fearful that it hasn't finished."

Southern District Commander Superintendent Paul Basham confirmed that Buis had resigned this month, and labelled his actions "disgraceful".

The police officer had been suspended on full pay in 2015, and subjected under an employment investigation.

Basham said he was due to discuss the outcome of the investigation with Buis on Friday.


The engineering company owner isn't surprised by the resignation.

It's all a part of what he calls Buis' nature and "the way he plays things out".

The resignation should have been of some relief to Pryde, but instead there is a renewed fear that threats from two years ago could reappear.

"Now the guy, of his own doing, has lost everything. What's to stop him doing those things he said he would do?

"It's still quite a scary time."

Pryde has been battling grief as well as fear. His father, who had stood by his side since the offending first came to light until the sentencing in April, died a few months ago.

However, the 39-year-old still feels a sense of optimism. His marriage to wife Amanda is stronger than ever, and Pryde Engineering is also going strong.

The only sour note remains outside Pryde Engineering, in small patches of red and green.