Secret recordings made in National MP Todd Barclay's office reportedly included discussion about "sex and drugs", it has been revealed.

According to a report by Newsroom, Parliamentary Services knows what is on tapes recorded in the Clutha-Southland MP's electorate office.

It told Christchurch lawyer Kathryn Dalziel that her client Glenys Dickson had been recorded discussing the MP, and that she had mentioned "sex and drug matters".

Labour leader Andrew Little repeated the claims under Parliamentary privilege this afternoon. He said in the House that the tapes had been "revealed to concern Todd Barclay and sex and drug matters" and asked Prime Minister Bill English whether he was aware of their contents.


English declined to comment, saying he had nothing to add to what he had said previously.

Earlier today, police said they were reopening the investigation into the allegation that Barclay had secretly recorded his staff.

Newsroom today quoted from Dickson's unredacted police statement from the original investigation.

In the statement, Dickson said Parliamentary Services had originally declined her request for a large settlement payment but later accepted it after officials discovered that Dickson's privacy might have been breached.

Dickson said Parliamentary officials also confirmed the existence of tapes to Dalziel and what was on them.

"Catherine (sic) Dalziel also told me that she had spoken to Parliamentary Services and that they had acknowledged there was recorded conversations involving me which concerned Todd Barclay regarding sex and drug matters."

Dickson could only recall one conservation on this subject, with another National staffer in Queenstown.

It came after Barclay pulled out of a prizegiving ceremony at the Telford Agriculture College in Balclutha. Barclay had been invited as the guest of honour but instead stayed in Queenstown after a big night out. According to Dickson, it was the latest in a series of events that had concerned staff.


Following Dickson's complaint about the recordings, the MP was investigated by police for 10 months but they found insufficient evidence and did not press charges.

Prime Minister Bill English said this afternoon he would not comment on the latest allegations.

He said he would co-operate with the police if he was approached again, and also said Barclay should speak to the police.

The Clutha-Southland MP declined to be interviewed when police first considered the complaint, after taking legal advice.

English said it was up to Barclay whether he should stand down while he was investigated, though he noted that MPs had remained in Parliament during police investigations in the past.

Barclay announced last week that he would step down at the September election.

His decision came after English revealed that Barclay had told him about the recordings last year - just hours after Barclay denied any recordings were made.