A Hamilton family are ventilating their home this morning after a dishwasher caught fire in their kitchen.

Northern fire communications shift manager Jaron Phillips said the homeowner called the fire service about 6.50am saying her dishwasher was about to explode.

"And then she said it had caught fire. She then called the fire service back saying the fire had spread and the whole house was on fire."

Phillips said on arrival to the Hillcrest home, the brigade found the kitchen ablaze.

Advertisement

However, due to the quick actions of firefighters the fire was quickly brought under control.

Crews then carried out ventilation and salvage procedures, he said.

The fire service said dishwasher fires were not very common.