The Ibis Budget hotel in Auckland's CBD has been evacuated following the discovery of smoke in the building this morning.

Fire services were called at 9.33am by the hotel's reception saying there was smoke in one of the rooms, a spokeswoman said.

"On arrival there was smoke but we couldn't locate the source," the fire spokeswoman said.

Reception was alerted to the smoke when the room's alarm went off.


When they went to check the staff member found the room "full of smoke" and called the fire brigade.

No one was in the room at the time, said General manager Simon Grimmett.

Fire services recommended the hotel set off their general alarm and the hotel was evacuated.

Grimmett said the hotel was full and everyone who had been in the building at the time co-operated happily with the evacuation.

The mood had been calm and guests had since been given the all-clear by fire crews to return to their rooms, Grimmett said.

"From what I've heard people have said staff were very helpful."

Fire crews at the scene have found the source of the smoke but have not confirmed what its cause was.

Grimmett said he would not know what the cause had been until the fire inspector finished their investigation of the scene.

It was not yet clear whether the smoke was caused by a fire.