Winning the Auckland marathon has made all his sacrifices worth it, says the man who crossed the finish line first.

Cantabrian Oska Inkster-Baynes, 25, led the pack from start to finish, despite having never run a full marathon before.

"I wasn't surprised, but just satisfied the plan's paid off," he said.

After crossing the finish line first, he said it made all the nights training and missing out on cuddles with his six-month-old daughter worth it.


He fell to the ground after winning the event with a time of 2 hours, 20 minutes and 36 seconds.

There was no secret to success, he said, but joked that drinking beer and running "lots" could help.

"Just set yourself a task and you can't hide from training . . . sacrifice a bit and work hard."

He said his coach had also given him the confidence in his ability.

Inkster-Baynes had been training since earlier this year, while learning to be a first-time dad and managing a business.

He already holds a half-marathon title, but yesterday's run was his first full-haul.

He now hoped to head further afield and had Berlin in his sights as one marathon to tackle in the near future.

Auckland Women's Elite Marathon run winner Nicole Goldsmid had a dramatic end to her race, collapsing at the finish line.


The 27-year-old from Fielding crossed the finish line in 2 hours and 47 minutes but was seen to falter and collapse.

She had to be carried to the side where medical staff converged to give her medical assistant.

Nicole Goldsmid celebrates winning the female marathon. Photo / Greg Bowker
Nicole Goldsmid celebrates winning the female marathon. Photo / Greg Bowker

Goldsmid, an ex-New Zealand swimmer, said later that she had been struggling with pain and crossing the finish line was a relief.

Also a first-time winner, she was awarded her trophy after a bit of rest.

More than 13,000 people took part in the annual event that kicked off from Devonport on a sunny but chilly morning.

The 42km course took entrants on a picturesque run from the North Shore, over the Harbour Bridge and through to St Heliers and back.

Organisers said the event had been an overall success.