A man died in front of his family and police after a domestic incident at their family home in Hamilton.

Waikato police Detective Senior Sergeant Nigel Keall said police were called to a Nawton home about 5.20pm yesterday after reports of a disturbance.

"A 59-year-old man died at the scene while police were in attendance.

"Police are investigating the circumstances of the incident in order to determine any links between the initial incident and subsequent death of the man."


A 29-year-old man has been arrested and will appear in the Hamilton District Court tomorrow on two assault charges.

Detectives were today still at the property, inspecting the scene and speaking to neighbours.

Neighbour John Ka said he witnessed the incident. He said it went for several hours mid-afternoon through till the fire brigade was called about 8pm.

He said he first noticed something wasn't right about 3.30pm when he heard yelling from across the road.

"They were just in the driveway, there was a young guy yelling ... and I seen the young guy push the old man and that's when I went over to see if everything was alright and then he started yelling at me and I asked the old guy if he was alright and he said he was alright."

Ka said he and his neighbours went back inside but he could still hear yelling for at least another hour.

He eventually called police. Ka said he heard smashing sounds coming from inside the house.

"It was quite loud [arguing]. He trashed the house, the whole house. When I called the cops I could hear smashing of windows, I could hear a lot of angry smashing over in the house."

By the time police turned up the young man had fled. Police then tried to find him.

Police remained in the house for several hours and it was when they went to leave, just after 8pm, that the woman at the house came out and screamed at them to come back inside.

Ka said he felt helpless as police carried out CPR on the man, on the porch of the property, for about 20 minutes. Two ambulances and a fire appliance also arrived at the scene.

A defibrillator was used to try to help the man, he said.

He described the family as "hardworking" who were always out doing the lawns and other household chores and seemed very family orientated.

The Coroner has been advised and no further information is available at this time, police say