Police are live with the latest developments in the shooting of a Manurewa shooting:

Counties-Manukau Police Detective Inspector Gary Lendrum addresses media about the fatal shooting in Manurewa this morning.

Posted by nzherald.co.nz on Friday, 23 September 2016

Devastated family of a man shot dead at a South Auckland house gathered together as a hearse arrived at the scene to take his body away.

Police were called to Winsford St in Manurewa at about 07.15am to a report that a male had been shot.

Despite attempts by paramedics, the victim was declared dead before just before 08.30am.


Police are now hunting a man seen leaving in a vehicle.

Family members gathered near the house as a hearse arrived about 11am, while the address was cordoned off by armed police.

A nearby resident said at first he thought he had heard firecrackers early in the morning.

"But it wasn't a bang, it was muffled, one shot, that made me wary," he told Fairfax.

The man, who did not want to be named, said when he went outside to investigate he saw a "little dark green hatchback shoot off," its wheel riding up on a curb as it raced away around the suburban street corner.

Before the shot rang out he had heard loud talking and yells coming from the house where the incident occurred.

Heybridge St resident Firoza Shaikh woke up shocked to discover the shooting opposite her home.

"It scares me because I live on my own, I used to feel safe in my home but this may change things for me a bit."

Police said investigators were "following strong lines of inquiry in their attempts to locate the offender".

Another neighbour who also asked not to be named told the Herald a relative had returned home from work just after the incident and saw people running around the street.

"She didn't know what was happening but could not have imagined it was because of a shooting," the resident said.

"We are all shocked that something like this could happen in our area."

Another resident said the house where the incident occured was often noisy and "cars come and go from the place all the time".

Police are expected to release more information later today.