The man wanted in relation to this evening's shooting in New Plymouth has been found.

Police confirmed they were not looking for anyone else in relation to the incident in Marama Crescent.

Earlier, a man was in hospital in a serious condition after being shot late this afternoon.

Armed police were called to Marama Cres in Spotswood around 5pm after the shooting took place in the residential street. They are still looking for someone in relation to the shooting.

However, at 8pm, police on the scene said they were no longer looking for someone "in the area" of where the shooting took place.


Residents told Fairfax children were playing in the street at the time and witnesses tried to disarm the gunman afterwards. Two women were seen tending to the injured man in the front yard of a home.

Another unnamed resident told Fairfax the shooting appeared to be the result of a growing tensions between to the two men, both of whom are believed to lived in the same street.

Marama Cres was cordoned for several hours but reopened around 7pm and people are now being allowed back through.

Police were at the scene and the house, near the intersection of Tohu Place.

The area was surrounded by police tape while the investigation continued.

Police say they were called to Marama Crescent in New Plymouth at 5pm following reports that a number of shots had been fired.
Police say they were called to Marama Crescent in New Plymouth at 5pm following reports that a number of shots had been fired.

A New Plymouth Base hospital spokesperson said the injured man was in a serious, but stable condition and was being airlifted to Waikato Hospital for further treatment.

Resident Debbie Sarten told NZME she saw the shot man being taken away in an ambulance.

"I don't know who he is, I've never seen him before."

Not long after the ambulance drove off she saw the Armed Offenders Squad arrive.

She said this sort of "excitement" wasn't new on the street - though she said it was the first time she'd heard a shooting.

"I've seen a few stabbings, but this is the first time I've heard of someone firing a gun, which is not good."

Another woman who lives on the street said she'd heard a few bangs just before 5pm, It gave her dogs a fright, but she'd thought nothing of it at first.

Resident Joss Coppin said she also heard the shots.

"I heard two very loud bangs, about five seconds apart, and we got dogs in there and they barked and carried on. Never gave it another thought when I went to shut the Venetians and saw the flashing lights."

Police aren't making any further comment at this stage.