An Auckland man had a gun held to his head as he was kidnapped from his home by a meth-fuelled man who threatened to kill him and his wife.

Tai Tyson Poulson, 27, admits he was "fried" on P when he embarked on his rampage around Auckland before leading police on a 120km chase down to Hamilton earlier this year.

But it was the victim who has been credited with helping bring the rampage to a safe ending, with Poulson admitting in a report that he was thankful with how the victim spoke to him.

In his victim impact statement, the man said he talked to Poulson about why he was acting dangerously and the impact it would have on his family.


It was initially reported Poulson had eaten about 3mg of P during his spree but that was not mentioned in the summary of facts read to the court this afternoon, however Poulson told police when arrested that he was "fried" on P.

He was today jailed for 11 years and two months after appearing for sentence in the Hamilton District Court before Judge Denise Clark on 11 charges in three separate incidents in Morrinsville, Te Aroha and Auckland with charges including kidnapping, aggravated burglary, threatening to kill, dangerous driving and possession of methamphetamine.

The court heard Poulson's most serious offending began during the early hours of March 22 when he and others stole a Holden ute and BMW at gunpoint from a husband and wife at a Glenfield property, telling them if they called police they would "riddle" their house with bullets.

He then led police on a chase after taking off in the Holden ute.

Spikes were laid on the road at Bombay but Poulson managed to continue to drive for a period before stopping at a house in a nearby cul-de-sac, running into the 64-year-old's house after smashing the ranch slider.

The victim and his wife were asleep and the man was ordered to get into the Ford Falcon with Poulson.

While there, crown prosecutor Jess Tarrant said Poulson threatened to kill the victims multiple times.

The man's wife was left behind, however Poulson held a gun to her husband's head as he led him from his house. Police were there and tried to stop him, but Poulson threat red to kill the hostage before pointing the gun at officers who then backed off.

Poulson, who has 19 previous convictions, then led police on the chase south, reaching speeds up to 200kph and through a crash scene.

Spikes were again laid on the Horotiu Expressway and he was brought to a stop with help from the armed offenders squad.

After being arrested he told police he'd swallowed 3mg of meth before carrying out his rampage.

Tarrant said police also found him in possession of 8.66gm of P.

The victim suffered a minor hand injury but was otherwise unharmed.

Poulson's lawyer Ann-Marie Beveridge said her client was remorseful and had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.

She argued against a minimum non-parole period as it would be "crushing" for her client and there would be significant delays for him to complete rehabilitative programmes.

Judge Clark told Poulson that his behaviour in Auckland not only risked his and his victim's safety but also police and the wider community.

Poulson was also disqualified from driving for 18 months and $1,788.67 of his fines were remitted.