Northern Advocate
  • Northern Advocate home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport
  • Property
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings

Locations

  • Far North
  • Kaitaia
  • Kaikohe
  • Bay of Islands
  • Whangārei
  • Kaipara
  • Mangawhai
  • Dargaville

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whangārei
  • Dargaville

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Northern Advocate

Gang brawl sentence appeal

Northern Advocate
2 May, 2016 01:50 AM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

A young man sentenced to home detention on a charge of unlawful assembly in relation to a brawl by rival gangs in central Kaikohe has appealed his sentence in the High Court.

Bronson Stevens, 20, was ordered by the Whangarei District Court in December last year to find a suitable home detention address or go to prison after he pleaded guilty to the charge.

He found a suitable address and was sentenced to three months' home detention.

Stevens' impassioned plea for a discharge without conviction to enable him to travel overseas as a professional rugby league player in future was rejected by Judge John McDonald.

His lawyer Wayne McKean argued that Stevens was not associated with any gang and had pulled up at the Z service station to fill up after a brawl between members of the Tribesman and Bloods gangs broke out.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

He said although Stevens picked up a spanner, there was no suggestion he used it to threaten or hit anyone, and he picked up the weapon in self-defence.

In the High Court at Whangarei, Mr McKean said the district court allowed no discount for the level of Stevens' low culpability. He told Justice Patrick Keane that had Judge McDonald not set the gravity of the offending so high, a discharge without conviction would have come into play.

The sentencing judge, he submitted, set the same starting point of eight months for Stevens as he did for others who were heavily involved in the brawl.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Crown prosecutor Jarred Scott said Stevens was part of those who assembled unlawfully and had formed the same intent as others involved in the brawl.

Justice Keane reserved his decision.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Northern Advocate

Northern Advocate

Terminally ill man fires his lawyer, cuts siblings from will and signs estate over to ex-wife

30 Nov 01:00 AM
Northern Advocate

Kauri Club marks 25 years supporting Northland’s young sporting talent

29 Nov 10:00 PM
Northern Advocate

Seaside town that helped build a high school celebrates milestone first year

29 Nov 04:00 PM

Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Northern Advocate

Terminally ill man fires his lawyer, cuts siblings from will and signs estate over to ex-wife
Northern Advocate

Terminally ill man fires his lawyer, cuts siblings from will and signs estate over to ex-wife

It was a move that made Johan de Rooy's family suspicious, so they took the case to court.

30 Nov 01:00 AM
Kauri Club marks 25 years supporting Northland’s young sporting talent
Northern Advocate

Kauri Club marks 25 years supporting Northland’s young sporting talent

29 Nov 10:00 PM
Seaside town that helped build a high school celebrates milestone first year
Northern Advocate

Seaside town that helped build a high school celebrates milestone first year

29 Nov 04:00 PM


Kiwi campaign keeps on giving
Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • The Northern Advocate e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Northern Advocate
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The Northern Advocate
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP