A man who says he was about 20 seconds ahead of a crash in which a five-month-old baby was seriously injured saw the crashed car "rocking" on its roof.

Andrew Hendry, the owner of Coopers Creek Vineyard near Waimauku, northwest of Auckland, pulled into the vineyard driveway moments before a car -- which had hit speeds of up to 150km/h -- lost control and rolled on its roof outside the vineyard gateway.

Police pursued the car driven by a 22-year-old man, who was disqualified from driving and breaching bail conditions, on State Highway 16 for about five minutes before it crashed. A female passenger was in the front seat of the vehicle and her baby girl was in the back.

Mr Hendry believed he got off the highway just in time.


"I reckon I missed the crash by about 20 seconds," he said. "I pulled in [to the driveway], parked up and then heard police sirens.

"I looked out to the road and saw a car rocking on its roof. It rocked for about 10 seconds.

"Two police cars arrived and an officer got down on his knees, picked up the baby [which was lying next to the car], and lay it down on the grass on the side of the road."

Mr Hendry saw the other officer pull the driver, who he heard screaming and yelling abuse at the officers, out of the car. The man was arrested at the scene.

Two office workers at the vineyard, who did not wish to be named, went out to the road and saw the baby wrapped in a blanket and its mother looking "very distraught".

"[The mother] was very quiet," one worker said. "She was sitting by the baby, shaking. She was clearly in shock."

All three vehicle occupants were taken to Auckland City Hospital where the man was put under police guard. They were all in stable condition this afternoon.

Inspector Mark Fergus said police had no idea there was a baby in the car when they engaged in pursuit.

A police cordon is in place at the site of the crash. Photo / Catherine Gaffaney
A police cordon is in place at the site of the crash. Photo / Catherine Gaffaney

The incident began when a police patrol clocked the car being driven at 124km/h near Waimauku.

The driver initially pulled over for police, but then sped off as officers approached.

At the crash site, police saw the baby lying next to the car and immediately moved it to safety and rendered first aid, Mr Fergus said.

The Independent Police Conduct Authority called for a review of fleeing driver policy when it appeared before Parliament's law and order select committee on Wednesday.

Commissioner of Police Mike Bush said policy would not be reviewed as it was already robust.

Three teenagers have died in two separate police pursuits this year.

The traffic cordon ends at the Matua Rd intersection. Photo / Catherine Gaffaney
The traffic cordon ends at the Matua Rd intersection. Photo / Catherine Gaffaney

Eden Nathan, 16, died when the stolen car she was in crashed in South Auckland after a brief police pursuit on January 24.

A week later, Pacer Willacy-Scott and Hoani Korewha, both 15, died when the stolen car they were in crashed into a lamp post in Masterton after a brief police pursuit.

A 14-year-old boy appeared in Masterton District Court yesterday charged with dangerous driving causing death.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, previously appeared on charges of driving without a licence, failing to stop and getting into a vehicle unlawfully. He was remanded and put into the care of Child, Youth and Family until February 24.