A man who posted a video online of two men accused of assaulting cricket star Jesse Ryder, in a breach of court suppression orders, had a warrant issued for his arrest after he failed to show up for a court hearing today.

Jordan Mason, 29, used his cellphone to film the pair leaving Christchurch District Court after they appeared on charges of assaulting Ryder outside a Merivale bar.

A judge granted a suppression order which protected their identities in a bid to secure them a fair trial.

A police officer spoke to Mason outside court, advising him of the suppression order and warned against doing anything with his footage.

Advertisement

But Mason ignored the advice and went ahead to upload the footage of the two men onto YouTube.

Mason was convicted and sentenced to two months' community detention and 140 hours' community work for taking and disseminating the coverage in July 2013.

But the Department of Corrections say he has failed to complete his community work - allegations he denies.

He was due to represent himself in court today for a defended hearing on the charge he failed to report to his probation officer.

Eight witnesses were in court this morning - some of whom had travelled some distance, according to Crown prosecutor Dr Heather McKenzie - and they were ready to give evidence but Mason failed to show up.

The witnesses were sent home, told that a new date was likely, and Judge Stephen O'Driscoll issued a warrant for Mason's arrest.

Mason arrived at court afterwards and the warrant was withdrawn.

Mason was remanded on further bail to appear on January 27.

Mason previously said he breached the suppression in a bid to "name and shame" the alleged attackers.

The videos have since been taken down.

A 39-year-old Canterbury builder, whose identity is still protected by suppression orders, denies charges of assaulting Ryder on March 28, 2013 and injuring with reckless disregard.

He will stand trial in March.