Three teenagers have been seriously injured after an explosion was sparked when a cigarette was lit while they were inhaling butane gas in a South Auckland house.

Emergency services were called to the Ferguson Street property in Mangere East about 11pm, northern ambulance communications shift manager Norm Ngatai said.

Two females and a male were "huffing" when one of them lit a cigarette, which caused the blast.

"As a result the three of them have received serious injuries with burns to the face, arms and legs."

Advertisement

They were taken to Middlemore Hospital for treatment, Mr Ngatai said.

A hospital spokesman said the group were admitted to the Intensive Care Unit.

A female and male were in a critical but stable condition today and the other female was in a stable condition, he said.