An unlicensed electrical worker whose shoddy work gave an electrician an electric shock was convicted of 16 charges and fined $16,500 in Manukau District Court.

On Monday the Mt Wellington man pleaded guilty to all 16 charges under the Electricity Act, following a prosecution brought by the Electrical Workers Registration Board.

The board was established in 1992 and is responsible for the ongoing competency of more than 30,000 registered electrical and electronic workers in New Zealand.

The first charge related to performing prescribed electrical work, including the installation of light and socket fittings and installing earth electrodes at a home in Auckland.


An electrician received an electric shock from one of the light fittings the defendant had installed.

The remaining 15 charges related to work he carried out at 15 other homes at an Auckland subdivision over more than two years.

The defendant had completed 15 certificates of compliance using another registered electrical worker's registration number.

EWRB Registrar John Sickels said all consumers should be aware that registered and licensed electricians must do prescribed electrical work.