Feedback around proposed changes aimed at opening up Teachers Council disciplinary tribunal proceedings have so far been positive, the council says.
If implemented the changes would do away with automatic name suppression rules currently in place for disciplinary cases. They would also enable members of the public to attend hearings.
The tribunal's closed-off approach to its hearings, particularly its blanket name suppression rule, has been heavily criticised. Earlier this year, Parliament's regulations review committee held the tribunal's name suppression practice was not in line with the Education Act, which clearly intended proceedings to be generally open to the public.
The council's Andrew Greig - who is overseeing the submission process on the proposed changes - said feedback had been positive so far.
"These rules intend to switch that so that the default position is hearings will be held in public, but anyone can apply for hearings to be held in private.
"The other really important thing that it does is provide protection for vulnerable witnesses," Mr Greig said.
Those wishing to make submissions on the proposed changes should go to the Teachers Council website www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz.
The closing date for submissions is Friday December 13.