Three teenage Wanaka boys were arrested and charged at the weekend for their alleged part in a mass beating of two men outside a bakery in the early hours of October 30.
Wanaka police youth aid officer Const Phil Vink confirmed last night two 16-year-old boys and one 17-year-old boy face one charge each of injuring with intent to injure one of the victims.
One of the trio faces an additional charge of assault with intent to injure the second victim.
They were on police bail last night and will appear before the registrar of the youth court division in the Queenstown District Court today, where it is expected they will be placed on court bail and remanded to reappear until November 29.
Const Vink confirmed police had interviewed in excess of 30 people and identified 12 youth offenders, after initial reports up to 25 teenagers had been involved in an assault of two Englishmen aged in their mid-20s outside the Dough Bin Bakery.
The victims received serious facial and head injuries. One was hospitalised and has since returned to England. He is receiving specialist treatment for damage to his left eye.
It is understood both victims had been working in Wanaka for at least a year.
Of the remaining nine offenders identified by police, one is from Dunedin and has yet to be found and interviewed.
Eight others are from Wanaka, have been interviewed and will be dealt with through the police youth aid section.
The exact action to be taken against the remaining nine offenders had yet to be determined, Const Vink said.
Police had identified that they had a "lesser role'' in the assault and decided not to arrest them.
"The reason for arresting [the three] is we do not want this to continue,'' he said.