Afternoon Headlines | Tribunal says Government is erasing its obligations, and WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DRC | Monday, May 18, 2026. Video / NZ Herald, AFP, Getty Images
An iconic Auckland waterfront restaurant has been forced to close, with owners blaming “lower sales and ever-increasing costs”.
Harbourside Ocean Bar Grill, which opened in Auckland CBD in 1988, will permanently close on June 13.
The announcement was made today, with owners Good Group Hospitality, saying increased costwas the cause.
“Harbourside traded well prior to Covid. However, since Covid,lower sales and ever-increasing costs has meant operating the restaurant is no longer commercially viable so the decision was made not to renew the lease and close the business,“ the statement read.
“The lease on our sister restaurant Botswana Butchery Auckland on the ground floor below in the Ferry Building has however been renewed.
The restaurant served premium seafood. Photograph by Fiona Goodall / Getty Images.
“This was a very difficult decision,” Good Group Hospitality said.
“Harbourside is an iconic restaurant with enormous history, and we are incredibly proud of what it has represented to Auckland over nearly four decades.”
This decision does not affect any other Good Group Hospitality outlets in Auckland and Queenstown.
Hospitality closures have been on the rise across the country, with 2564 businesses shutting in the 12 months to August 2025, according to data released by Cetrix last year.