Two Catholic organisations have pulled out of a post-Budget rally after other groups involved threatened to flour-bomb Rugby World Cup events.

Both the Auckland Catholic Justice and Peace Commission and the Catholic social justice agency Caritas have withdrawn their support for tomorrow's rally in Auckland.

The Herald reported today groups against the Government's economic policies were proposing "civil disobedience" to disrupt the Rugby World Cup - possibly including flour-bombing Eden Park.

The protesters, including unions and church groups, plan to march up Queen St in Auckland from noon tomorrow against last week's Budget cuts to KiwiSaver, family tax credits and public services and state asset sales.

Spokesman Meredydd Barrar of the newly formed Coalition for Social Justice said the groups also "intend to take action during the World Cup to alert the world that New Zealand is not as squeaky clean as people might perceive. We might have to flour-bomb Eden Park again," he said.

Anti-apartheid protesters famously dropped bags of flour over the stadium from a plane during the final test of the Springbok rugby tour in 1981.

"Any action in terms of civil disobedience might be considered," Mr Barrar said.

"I'm not saying our group would condone that, but I think when people get angry, all sorts of things can happen."

Caritas spokeswoman Lisa Beech says they wanted to attend the rally to speak out for the most vulnerable members of society.

But she says they don't support and don't want to be seen to endorse any suggestions of flour bombing Rugby World Cup games.

Maori activists Titewhai Harawira and Ngaire Te Hira said in February they planned to use the tournament to "expose" New Zealand's treatment of Maori, and Unite Union has said hotel workers whose collective agreements expire during the cup will seek a 10 per cent share of room rentals.

Former Green MP Sue Bradford, who will speak at tomorrow's march on behalf of Auckland Action Against Poverty, said Budget cuts for public services were in stark contrast to tax breaks for rugby.

"There is a lot of talk at the moment in different groups about actions at the time of the World Cup," she said. "I think there will certainly be protests at that time."

Another speaker, Meg Moss, head teacher of the MiniMarc childcare centre at the Mt Albert Research Centre, said early childhood centres were still reeling from cuts in last year's Budget and would not stop protesting just because of the rugby games.

"It would be unpopular, but it would make an impact," she said.

"The election is coming up in November. If we just roll over and give up, then the message is lost. The world can't come to a halt between August and November."

Marx Jones, who flew the protest aircraft in the 1981 flour-bombing incident, did not want to spoil the All Blacks' chances of winning the World Cup, but said "all bets are open at the moment".

"Helicopters have been mentioned because they can just hover above games, but I haven't got a helicopter licence," he said.

Another Springbok tour veteran, John Minto, said there would be no "clemency" for the World Cup from protesters but nothing had been planned yet apart from a "memorial" Springbok tour reunion at Eden Park on Sunday, September 11 - 30 years after the flour-bombing on September 12, 1981, and two days after the World Cup kickoff.

Tomorrow's march begins in Queen Elizabeth Square at noon.

- with Herald Online staff